Friday, June 16, 2017

I found Philomena!




Philomena is my great-grandmother on my mother's side. I had been searching for her, close to 10 years and at times, it drove me bat-crazy.

How I found her is that I never gave up. You can't. I had to take a break from it but it wasn't that long of one because I was determined to find her and a bit obsessed. She once existed and I was going to find her! 





One day, I was going through the names of the 1860 census for an uncle of my great-grandfather and noticed they had a Philip Nann living with them. I had remembered that I found the birth record saying that a Minnie Naun was the mother of my grandfather. Knowing how many misspellings are found in the US census, I ran a check on Philip Nann and sure enough, he had a sister named Philomena and then I found other documents, showing her and my grandfather as a married couple. How cool is that?

Many European immigrants knew each other from the old country and it pays to check out the other people on the census and the neighbors listed.

I have a huge family to research and have already matched shared DNA to 3 Nann's on Ancestry to confirm I am on the right track. It feels so good, to finally break down that one, stubborn brick wall.

See BRICK WALL - Philomena Hasenstab

WTH?



Subscribe to Rooted by Blood, DNA and a lot of BS by Email

1 comment:

  1. That is cool and congrats on finally finding her. Minnie is often the short form for Philomena and , to me, she was so close! She wasn't like 3 or 4 greats away but just one and yet so far away...until now.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stay at home Mom to 1 dog and 2 cats. I am the "big sister" in the photo. My baby sister, passed away unexpectedly, Sept. 2015 at the young age of 56. I miss her terribly. Everyone in my childhood family has now passed. I have 3 sons. My oldest son died in 2003 at the age of 25. GENEALOGY is a growing passion of mine as well as History.