Sunday, June 25, 2017

Kissing Cousins




My dad's family come from Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia and both Carolinas. Currently, I have 1,341 4th cousins or closer. As more "cousins" do their DNA, it goes up every month.

I have 30 DNA Circles and all but 2 are from my dad's side of the family. I kinda feel sorry for my mom's side - either that side had weak DNA or there were many "kissing cousins" on my dad's. (Plus they had kids when they were still kids themselves - and A LOT of them) I haven't found any marriage between 1st cousins, but many 2nd cousins. I also noticed many of the men would marry a sister, if one sister died, thus making it confusing. Who does that, these days?

When I go down the list, of surnames, they come from both sides of my Grandma and Grandpa. They were cousins. Granted 3rd or so, but in those parts of the country, they didn't travel far - and Cousins looked pretty good. They also stayed in those communities for several generations. I am a 3rd cousin to my 1st cousin's wife. We are all related.

I'm a Californian - yet I am related to many of those kissing cousins from the mountain hollows or "hollers" of Eastern Tennessee and Kentucky.

Famous People who married Cousins

Jesse James married his first cousin

FDR - Although they had met as children, they became reacquainted after a dinner at the White House in 1902 held by Eleanor’s uncle and Franklin’s fifth cousin, President Teddy Roosevelt. FDR was 20 at the time and was attending Harvard. They were married on St. Patrick’s Day, 1905, and had six children.

Johann Sebastian Bach married his second cousin on his father’s side, Maria Barbara Bach.

H.G. Wells married his first cousin Isabel Mary Wells

Thomas Jefferson married his third cousin Martha Wayles Skelton Jefferson in 1772. They had six children together.

Albert Einstein married his second cousin Elsa in 1919.

Charles Darwin married his first cousin Emma Wedgwood. They had a total of ten children.

At the age of 20 poet, Edgar Allen Poe moved in with his aunt, uncle, and cousin after his father left and his mother had died. It was there in Baltimore that he met his seven-year-old cousin Virginia, who he fell in love with and married when she was only thirteen.

In 1957 famous rock and roll musician Jerry Lee Lewis married his cousin Myra, who was only 13 at the time. He lost an incredible amount of respect and credibility. The marriage almost ended his career and caused him to move from rock to a more country style. They had two children together and ended up divorced in 1970.

Governor Rudy Giuliani married a woman who he thought to be his third cousin, Regina Peruggi, in 1968. It wasn’t until many years later that they realized that they were actually second cousins.

Subscribe to Rooted by Blood, DNA and a lot of BS by Email



2 comments:

  1. I always find it a bit icky when people marry their cousins but it happens quite a bit. My dad's family comes from Barry's Bay, near Algonquin Park, in Ontario. I had heard there was a lot of marriages between cousins etc... Actually my first cousin, on my father's side, married his first cousin. bad taste in my mouth. now Poe is a bit weird and to marry when she was only 13...yuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my. It was common in Royalty as well as the US Appalachian mountain people.

      Delete

About Me

My photo
Stay at home Mom to 1 dog and 2 cats. I am the "big sister" in the photo. My baby sister, passed away unexpectedly, Sept. 2015 at the young age of 56. I miss her terribly. Everyone in my childhood family has now passed. I have 3 sons. My oldest son died in 2003 at the age of 25. GENEALOGY is a growing passion of mine as well as History.