Monday, May 15, 2017

Memorial Month of May - From Dachau to Mauthausen




Searching for Peter Yosef Hasenstab - He was born April 18, 1897, in Gailbach - a district of the Kreisfreien Stadt Aschaffenburg.  The only way I can find that he once lived, are from the scant records when he was a prisoner of war and entered Dachau Concentration Camp on Sept 16, 1937. I am unable to date, to find his parents.




I am positive he was not Jewish. Most of my Hasenstabs were Catholic. I do know he served in WW1 in Germany in the Artillery.  Perhaps, he bravely resisted Nazism.




Dachau had the dubious distinction of being the first camp established (March 1933) after the Nazis came to power. Over its history, about 200,000 prisoners from thirty countries (the largest number from Poland) were registered in the main camp or its many sub-camps. It is estimated that 35,000 prisoners died in Dachau, tens of thousands were released at various times between 1933 and 1945, and thousands of others were liberated by American troops in April 1945. Even larger numbers of prisoners were transferred from Dachau elsewhere and this collection does not establish their ultimate fate. While tens of thousands of the prisoners were Jews, the overwhelming majority were imprisoned for other reasons.



Persons were imprisoned for a wide variety of reasons. The most common designation is Sch. (Schutzh√§ftling or protective prisoner) which was a catch-all designation with no real meaning. Bifo is an abbreviation for Bibel Forscher, or Jehovah’s Witness, while a P. Pf. (Polish Pfarrer) is a Polish minister or priest. “Z” designated a Zigeuner (gypsy) while a ZA was a Zwangs Arbeiter or forced laborer. And, of course, J stands for Jude or Jew.

On Sept 27, 1939, he was transferred to Mauthausen. The Mauthausen-Gusen camp was one of the first massive concentration camp complexes in Nazi Germany, and the last to be liberated by the Allies. The two main camps, Mauthausen and Gusen I, were labeled as "Grade III" (Stufe III) camps, which meant that they were intended to be the toughest camps for the "Incorrigible political enemies of the Reich"

Sept 27, 1939, is the last date I can find on Peter Josef Hasenstab.













Subscribe to Rooted by Blood, DNA and a lot of BS by Email

3 comments:

  1. I hope you are able to find him so he is not lost forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you related to this person? It would be wonderful to find out what happened to him. My Opa was one who was for the Kaiser and didn't keep quiet. One of the neighbours said he was a communist so he was taken and sent to a German concentration camp and was let out just before the war ended. The Germans kept meticulous records but most cities were bombed all to hell so much was destroyed. I wonder if one could contact the Dacchau camp and see if they have any information like if her was let go or if he died or was transferred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is related to the German Hasenstab family on my mothers side. He would be a 1st cousin to my great grandfather who came to America and others within the family,stayed in Germany.

      Delete

About Me

My photo
Stay at home Mom to 1 dog and 2 cats. I am the "big sister" in the photo. My baby sister, passed away unexpectedly, Sept. 2015 at the young age of 56. I miss her terribly. Everyone in my childhood family has now passed. I have 3 sons. My oldest son died in 2003 at the age of 25. GENEALOGY is a growing passion of mine as well as History.