Wednesday, April 26, 2017

X in DNA








I have to admit when it comes to the DNA and the X and the Y and all of that - I seem to have a mental block. I read it, and read it yet still it doesn't stick in my head. Maybe it's my age -

Men inherit only one X chromosome, from their mother, while women inherit two Xs, one from their mother and one from their father. In turn, their parents inherited their X in a specific way as well. All ancestors don’t contribute to the X chromosome.

I do find it all terribly fascinating and I wish my pea brain would retain it, so I could fully understand it all. I took the basic DNA test through Ancestry. Honestly, that only wet my whistle! I want MORE information, but they are so doggone expensive. I know this month, they are having specials on the more advanced kits - This year, I am a day late and a dollar short. Maybe next year.









Subscribe to Rooted by Blood, DNA and a lot of BS by Email

4 comments:

  1. Hopefully we will get more matches because others bought the test while it was on sale :)
    The x matches are interesting and follow a funny pattern. I think they also don't change as much so maybe matches on the x chromosome can go back further. I am yet to have any luck saying aha that is a match to this line because of the x chromosome.
    Regards
    Anne
    X is for destruction of a piratical fleet in Xiānggǎng (Hong Kong)

    ----------

    Anne Young

    Anne's family history

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - maybe we will get new matches.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know that X and Y matches can lead to all sorts of different things. I so want to do this and will get my hubby's done first

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stay at home Mom to 1 dog and 2 cats. I am the "big sister" in the photo. My baby sister, passed away unexpectedly, Sept. 2015 at the young age of 56. I miss her terribly. Everyone in my childhood family has now passed. I have 3 sons. My oldest son died in 2003 at the age of 25. GENEALOGY is a growing passion of mine as well as History.