- Articles with Good Information
- CONTACT ME
- German Names
- Hebrew Surnames
- Jewish Communities in Germany
- List of German Jewish Surnames
- Oral History Interview, Questions and Topics
- Population Census Items 1790–1940
- Surnames from Dad
- Surnames from Mom
- SWENSON SWEDISH IMMIGRATION RESEARCH CENTER
- Relative FINDER
- #2017-A-Z Challenge
Monday, April 24, 2017
Voices from the Past
My sons were born in the late 70's to mid-1980's. We never had a video recorder that played sound. I did, however, have, a tape recorder and recorded many hours, of my kids playing on it. Asa mom, I knew that one day, those tapes would be precious to me. One tape, in particular, is the voice message from my oldest son when he was in college and living with 2 roommates. He died at the age of 25, just a year after he graduated. I asked his roommates if I could have a copy and they sent me one. For many months, after, they did not even change it.
Imagine, if we could "hear" our Grandmothers once again. How precious that would be. Now we have the technology - and there are no excuses. Leave a living legacy - by leaving your voice for your family.
I have a garden diary from my GGreat aunt - and I can hear her voice. When I read my Grandma's letters to me, I can hear her voice, too.
I have some old movie film of aunts and uncles, cousins and grandparents - no audio but our family watched the movies often enough to where we remember what was being said. It's really neat, to now - all these years later, to watch, our loved ones, move and just be alive.
One day, we will be nothing more than a name - if we do this now, our voices will be heard for generations. How cool is that?
Subscribe to Rooted by Blood, DNA and a lot of BS by Email
Labels: #A-Z Challenge-2017
- Stay at home Mom to 1 dog and 2 cats. I am the "big sister" in the photo. My baby sister, passed away unexpectedly, Sept. 2015 at the young age of 56. I miss her terribly. Everyone in my childhood family has now passed. I have 3 sons. My oldest son died in 2003 at the age of 25. I am not LDS. I do enjoy History and GENEALOGY has become my hobby and my passion.