Saturday, April 22, 2017

They SURVIVED; Many did not




Since getting involved in Genealogy - searching for surnames and families - I have grown fondly of these people, I have never met. They were born, they lived and they died and their lives mattered. It amazes me all the time when I think how I came to be...because they survived. 

They survived from whatever persecution they were coming to America to get away from. Many did not.

They survived crossing the Atlantic Ocean, in wooden ships. Many packed like sardines - Many died during these voyages.

Depending, when they came they survived American Wars - The Revolutionary War, The War of 1812, The Civil War, Spanish-American War, WW1, WW2, and Vietnam. Many did not.

They survived the influenza pandemic of 1918-1919 which killed more people than the Great War, known today as World War I (WWI), at somewhere between 20 and 40 million people.

They survived the Depression. They survived drought and famine on their farms. They survived the many Indian Wars, in the early settling of our country. Many did not.

Placing your ancestors during certain key points in history shows how resolute they were, and for whatever reasons, they survived.

For all of what they went through,  I owe them respect. If it weren't for their survival my grandparents wouldn't have made it; which means my parents wouldn't of and I certainly wouldn't be around to express my devotion to these people I call "family."










Subscribe to Rooted by Blood, DNA and a lot of BS by Email

5 comments:

  1. You are so right! When I looked at my mom's family tree...most did not leave that area and they had to deal with so much in the 1800's. My grandparents went through WW1, the imbalance of Germany in the. 20's and, of course, Hitler etc... My mom grew up in the 1930's, she survived the bombings of Hamburg and Dresden. She was airstrifed and shot at. She survived setting dynamite under bridges for the resistance movement.She survived the Russians, escaped being taken to Siberia, escaped to the West, survived a major head injury and all this before she hit 25 years old. It's amazing..sorry that I went on about my mom...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fascinating Birgit...I love the history around genealogy. It's not just about collecting a bunch of names.

      Delete
  2. I find it interesting also to write about those who didn't survive, or didn't leave children. So many stories. I think it is important to remember everyone but the stories of those who didn't survive help us to understand the odds surmounted and the challenges to survival.

    Regards
    Anne

    S is for the Snowy
    ----------

    Anne Young

    Anne's family history


    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right; so many didn't survive. I strongly suspect that none of my family (either side) that stayed in "the old country" survived World War II; I do know my mother's oldest brother was a civilian casualty of World War I (for whatever reason he did not emigrate with the rest of his family or so I am told.)It's sobering and well worth being reminded of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I have talked about this very same thing. So many things had to happen just right for us to even be here today. Our ancestors surviving was the most important.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stay at home Mom to 1 dog and 2 cats. I am the "big sister" in the photo. My baby sister, passed away unexpectedly, Sept. 2015 at the young age of 56. I miss her terribly. Everyone in my childhood family has now passed. I have 3 sons. My oldest son died in 2003 at the age of 25. GENEALOGY is a growing passion of mine as well as History.