Wednesday, April 19, 2017

R is for Relative Finder



A few weeks ago, I came across Relative Finder. Have you seen this yet? It is a part of the BYU Family History Technology Lab/ Family Search by the Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. If you have at least 1000 ancestors listed in Family Search website (How mine got in there, I do not know) famous relatives will appear in the Finder. It's a trip.

Now it is a LDS website, so you might be surprised that some off-shoot from your family converted to LDS. You might find out, as I did, that I am related to the Founder, Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. I'm not fully convinced - We have no record of knowing of any family member converting to LDS. It does intrigue me enough to search it out. Inquiring minds NEED TO KNOW.

Besides being related to LDS prophets, and everything LDS - they show American Presidents, Authors and Poets, Composers, Catholic Saints and Popes, Composers, Constitution signers, Declaration signers, entertainers, European royalty, famous Americans, Mayflower, movie stars, science and technology, sports figures, and US first-ladies.

Hey Cuz! 


The only one I know to be true - is Davy Crockett. I already knew this as a child and you know, pretty much thought it was one of those BS stories. He is my 4th cousin, 6 times removed but because of relative finder,I can click on Davy's link and it takes me through the virtual pedigree to see where the connection is.

Ironically, when I was in the 8th grade, we as a family visited Limestone, Tennessee to see his birthplace. He was always an admired hero to me,so with this relative, I am pleased. 

Who are YOU related to? 








Subscribe to Rooted by Blood, DNA and a lot of BS by Email

3 comments:

  1. Family lore says my husband is also related to Davy Crockett! I haven't found evidence yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I want to let you know that your blog is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2017/04/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-april-21.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to look this up. That is pretty cool that you are related to Davy Crockett. My dad always claimed we were related to Liberace and Gene Krupa....I have no clue

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stay at home Mom to 1 dog and 2 cats. I am the "big sister" in the photo. My baby sister, passed away unexpectedly, Sept. 2015 at the young age of 56. I miss her terribly. Everyone in my childhood family has now passed. I have 3 sons. My oldest son died in 2003 at the age of 25. GENEALOGY is a growing passion of mine as well as History.