Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Q is for Quakers



Quakers are an interesting bunch - When I am going through records I see many of my ancestors were Quakers. Imagine that! 

Quakers are members of a religious group that began in England during the English Civil War (1642–1651) The formal name is the ‘Religious Society of Friends’. Quakers did not separate religious life and secular life. They felt that all could live together in peace if they followed the Holy Spirit. Quakers, or Friends have been known for the religious testimonies against war and slavery, and in support of simplicity and social justice. Many early leaders of the anti-slavery, anti-war and woman’s rights movements have been Quakers.

Apparently, the Quaker records are among the most detailed. There are generally two types of monthly meeting records, minutes taken during the business meeting, and separate registers of births, marriages and burials and notes about attendance and certificates of removal. Because Quakers were required to marry other Quakers, once you find one Quaker ancestor, you'll probably find many others.  Each meeting kept records for individuals and families as long as they remained faithful members of the meeting and within its geographical boundaries.










Subscribe to Rooted by Blood, DNA and a lot of BS by Email

2 comments:

  1. I had heard they are a great place for finding out about ones ancestry. I know there are no Quakers in my line

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found some that had been disavowed...I guess that means, they were kicked out.

      Delete

About Me

My photo
Stay at home Mom to 1 dog and 2 cats. I am the "big sister" in the photo. My baby sister, passed away unexpectedly, Sept. 2015 at the young age of 56. I miss her terribly. Everyone in my childhood family has now passed. I have 3 sons. My oldest son died in 2003 at the age of 25. GENEALOGY is a growing passion of mine as well as History.