Saturday, April 8, 2017

From 1840 to 1880, GERMANS were the largest group of immigrants




On my maternal side of my family, we have the Germans. The largest flow of German immigration to America occurred between 1820 and World War I, during which time nearly six million Germans immigrated to the United States. From 1840 to 1880, they were the largest group of immigrants.

My German family, settled in the Ohio Valley, in the Dayton area. Pennsylvania has the largest population of German-Americans in the U.S. and is home to one of the group's original settlements, Germantown (Philadelphia), founded in 1683 and the birthplace of the American antislavery movement in 1688, as well as the revolutionary Battle of Germantown.

Some left the Old World in response to the many historical events in Europe over the last two centuries. Most Germans came to the United States seeking economic opportunities or religious or political freedom.

My family were Catholics - very strict Catholics and forbade the intermarriage with a non-catholic. My German grandfather was Catholic. My dutch-Irish grandmother was Protestant. They married, but  his family members would not attend and years later, refused to acknowledge my uncle and my mother as part of their German family because my Grandmother refused to baptise them, in the Catholic Church.  OUCH!  Now that must have been the reason, to not inter-marry with Protestants. I can't help but think, how many came to America to escape religious persecution, yet once here, was intolerant of others who were non-Catholics.


Germans in Dayton, Ohio




Located northeast of downtown Dayton, Old North Dayton sits between the Great Miami and Mad rivers. Its main routes are Troy, Brandt, Valley, Stanley, Leo and Chapel Streets. I have many from the Hasenstab branch, that actually lived on Troy, Valley, Leo and Chapel Streets. It's a trip to google earth, and see how many homes are still standing today. There is a Hasenstab St. I am trying to find out the history of that. It still exists there today.

German immigrants were the first to settle in the neighborhood, then known as 'Texas' or 'Parma'. Around the turn of the century, central European immigrants, predominately Poles, Hungarians, Lithuanians and Germans, moved in as laborers and gave the neighborhoods its unique ethnic flavor represented by ethnic Roman Catholic churches, and cultural festivals.

I don't hold it against any of them -it was their ethnic and religious culture at the time. I do believe it has made my search for the Hasenstab family even harder. A few years ago, a distant cousin from the Hasenstab line, contacted me. She did not know that my mother existed and when she asked an older cousin who was now in her 90's - she refused to talk about it. The cousin later broke off communication with me. What was THAT all about?













Subscribe to Rooted by Blood, DNA and a lot of BS by Email

8 comments:

  1. This is very interesting since my dad's family came over around this time. My dad's father was from the Prussian area and that was a German province but my great grandmother appears to have been Polish. Now my grandmother...seems to be all Polish. We heard from the Krakow area but I saw something that seems to suggest the Austrian/Hungarian empire. I think your German roots are more from the Southern part since the Southern was Catholic and the northern was Lutheran( my mom was born inWittenberg, the birthplace for the Lutheran religion.) who knows with families because old thinking is hard to die off. If your cousin chose to believe her grandmother and not speak with you, you might be better off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee thanks for the tip - that my germans were likely from the southern parts because they were Catholic. I'll have to check.

      My husband's german side was from Prussia.

      Delete
  2. I have a little German and Dutch blood but am mostly Scots, and they came over after 1745, when they lost to the British.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it interesting how religion can still divide and cause bitterness even in today's enlightened times. I'm sure God winces when he sees us hurt each other in his name. I also think that people who do this are better off not in our lives. So glad your grandparents resisted pressure and married for love.
    http://pinklillibadgramma.ca/2017/04/04/change-brave-enough/#comment-265

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from A to Z. Ironic how those who have to escape from intolerance end up doing it themselves - so many stories of that in history. There have been a couple of rifts in my husband's family (Catholic) due to intermarriages, including an aunt who was estranged from her son for years because he got married in his wife's Protestant church. The story of the distant cousin who broke off her contact with you had to be painful. Thank you for visiting my blog and for following me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cousin is tracing our paternal roots and has found we qualify for DAR (Daughters of American Revolution). She has traced us to the earliest settlers in Massachusetts. It's fascinating.

    I've tried to trace my Celtic roots - not so easy. LOL!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    G: Galapagos & Glacier Nat'l Park
    DB McNicol, author & traveler
    Theme: Oh, the places we will go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. visiting again from A to Z - your post today is so fascinating! Loved your comment on my post on groceries - about not buying before thanksgiving and Christmas -- I agree!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Genealogy i fascinating. My mother and oldest sister do a fair amount of genealogy research, for which I am grateful as it's quite interesting to learn of one's past. I am also of primarily German descent, from both sides of the family. :)

    A to Z 2017: Magical and Medicinal Herbs

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stay at home Mom to 1 dog and 2 cats. I am the "big sister" in the photo. My baby sister, passed away unexpectedly, Sept. 2015 at the young age of 56. I miss her terribly. Everyone in my childhood family has now passed. I have 3 sons. My oldest son died in 2003 at the age of 25. GENEALOGY is a growing passion of mine as well as History.