- Articles with Good Information
- CONTACT ME
- German Names
- Hebrew Surnames
- Jewish Communities in Germany
- List of German Jewish Surnames
- Oral History Interview, Questions and Topics
- Population Census Items 1790–1940
- Surnames from Dad
- Surnames from Mom
- SWENSON SWEDISH IMMIGRATION RESEARCH CENTER
- Relative FINDER
- #2017-A-Z Challenge
Monday, April 10, 2017
#A-Z Challenge - Homes
When I am searching for my family, when I find their addresses, I like to google to see if their houses are still standing today. Even if they are not - I like to just see the area as it is now. When I went back to Dayton, 2010 I wasn't able to go to North Dayton to view the homes due to rainy weather and the fact that these homes are now in very bad neighborhoods with high crime. Since a few homes have been torn down, which saddens me because I should of at least, taken a screen shot off google.
Here is what I have found so far:
The above photo: My Grandmother and Grandfather Hasenstab lived here briefly in 1917 before he left for the War. This was in Dayton Ohio, a street with many German immigrants at the time.
This is from my dad's Tennessee family - The Young's. Their home in Elgin, Tennessee. This was out on some country road, with no address. In 1971, my dad found his old house -
Aunt Hattie, from my dad's side - was a cousin to my Grandma Young. This was taken in 1968. I'm standing in back- my mom holding our dog, Aunt Hattie and my little sister, Donna with our other dog. This was back roads all the way and was where Aunt Hattie was born. It was amazing to me, to see such old, rickety homes that had been built in the 1840's era.
That is about all I have. I would suggest taking photos of old family homes when you can or look for them on Google. Most areas these homes are going through an urban revitalization and soon they will be gone forever.
Subscribe to Rooted by Blood, DNA and a lot of BS by Email
- Stay at home Mom to 1 dog and 2 cats. I am the "big sister" in the photo. My baby sister, passed away unexpectedly, Sept. 2015 at the young age of 56. I miss her terribly. Everyone in my childhood family has now passed. I have 3 sons. My oldest son died in 2003 at the age of 25. GENEALOGY is a growing passion of mine as well as History.