Wednesday, July 5, 2017

The Signers - William Ellery - 5th Cousin 6 times removed

William Ellery was born in Newport, Rhode Island on December 2, 1727.  He was home-schooled by his father, a merchant and Harvard College graduate. In 1747 William Ellery graduated from Harvard College where he had excelled in Greek and Latin.




Ellery returned to Newport where he worked first as a merchant, next as a customs collector, and then as Clerk of the Rhode Island General Assembly. Ellery started practicing law in 1770 at the age of 43 and became active in the Rhode Island Sons of Liberty.

After Samuel Ward's death in 1776, Ellery replaced Ward in the Continental Congress. Ellery was among the fifty-six signers of the Declaration of Independence in 1776. In terms of square inches, the size of Ellery's signature on the Declaration of Independence was second to only John Hancock's famous signature. Ellery was also a signer of the Articles of Confederation.

After going through my tree, I found that William Ellery and Lyman Hall were also cousins.











Subscribe to Rooted by Blood, DNA and a lot of BS by Email

1 comment:

  1. Well, that is pretty cool that you have a relative that signed the Declaration and went to Harvard. he had a wonderful signature

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stay at home Mom to 1 dog and 2 cats. I am the "big sister" in the photo. My baby sister, passed away unexpectedly, Sept. 2015 at the young age of 56. I miss her terribly. Everyone in my childhood family has now passed. I have 3 sons. My oldest son died in 2003 at the age of 25. GENEALOGY is a growing passion of mine as well as History.