Thursday, May 4, 2017

Little Boy on Tinian Island.




This month I wanted to devote to those ancestors that died in the war - with the exception of the one guy, who died in the battle of the bulge, so far I am unable to find any.

My husband works for California Veterans- so does my son, his SO and my father-in-law lives at one of California'sVeteran Homes. I know, one time they helped my father-in-law find out about more of his service in WW2. Like he helped unload "little boy" off a ship on Tinian Island. Of course, what was in the sealed crate was top secret. He never knew but there was talk.

The veteran caseworker wanted to research it more fully, since he has skin cancer - and wondered if there was some radiation coming off that crate, however, there is no way to prove it - and at 91 years old, it doesn't matter anymore.

Duane worked on a Navy salvage tugs out in the Pacific. When planes crashed or ships, they would go to the scene and tow it back to shore, sometimes right in the middle of battle.

We are trying to find out more - apparently many military files were destroyed in the Oklahoma City bombing of the Murrah Federal Building in April 1995.

 I joined Fold3 but so far I am not impressed. Maybe I don't know how to exactly use it. So far, I have found NOTHING.

In searching military records, what websites are your favorites?




Subscribe to Rooted by Blood, DNA and a lot of BS by Email

6 comments:

  1. I wish I could help but I am not that savvy. I wrote directly to our war heritage museum in Ottawa to get my dad's war records and they sent it rather quickly. Do you think Arlington would have something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband said it might take a few months.

      Delete
  2. Hi Debby, Good luck with your searches. I suspect it depends on generations. Some men and their sons were caught in WW1 and then WW2, other families missed out because the men were too old or too young.
    Australian records are different to US. I would look for draft registration cards, veterans' memorials. Ancestry seems to have some U.S., Adjutant General Military Records, 1631-1976 which I picked up some military service details for some relatives. The 1930 census had a question about whether the person was a veteran. The 1940 census also sought veteran status (including widow or minor child of a veteran). So census records might be a good place to start checking if a family member served. Good luck with your researches. Regards Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used fold.com but that was for Civil and Revolutionary War records. I sent away for my dad's WWII records but received notification that they were damaged in a fire in St. Louis. Imagine my surprise (and luck) when cleaning out my parents' home when I found copies of his records!

    I hope you're able to find something.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stay at home Mom to 1 dog and 2 cats. I am the "big sister" in the photo. My baby sister, passed away unexpectedly, Sept. 2015 at the young age of 56. I miss her terribly. Everyone in my childhood family has now passed. I have 3 sons. My oldest son died in 2003 at the age of 25. GENEALOGY is a growing passion of mine as well as History.