Thursday, April 13, 2017

L is for surname Lewallen




When I first started getting into Genealogy, (I was young) I thought there were only 4 surnames that mattered. As we all know, that is not the case. A very strong surname on my dad's paternal side is the Lewallen's of Tennessee.



The first Lewallen that shows up after my gg grandfather, Layton Young is Rhoda Ann Lewallen. She was Layton's mother and Matthew Young's wife. Sure I could just ignore the maternal side - and do research just on my surname of Young but what's the fun in that? I actually know many in the family, who do just that! They are not interested in the other branches of the family. Yet when my DNA came back, many of my relative connections came through our shared ancestry of Matthew Young and Rhoda Ann Lewallen. Just so happens, that Lewallen side goes and goes and goes back, very far whereas a generation later, I lose track of the Youngs.

Four generations back, the surname Lewallen changes spelling - Llewellyn. A welch personal name The name Lewis became closely associated with Llywelyn as early as the 13th century when Anglo-Norman scribes often used the former as an anglicized version of the latter; many Welsh families came to do the same over the following centuries as the adoption of formal English-style surnames became more widespread.





The name Llywelyn became popular following the successes of Llywelyn the Great (r. 1175-1240) but was largely absent among Welsh princes prior to him. Although Llywelyn was the most common form of the name in the medieval period, variant spellings started emerging even in the early Middle Ages, in particular, Llewelyn and Llewellyn, spellings that gave rise to a folk belief that the name was connected with lions (the Welsh word for lion being llew).  This belief was further reinforced by Llywelyn the Great's adoption of his father Iorwerth ab Owain's coat of arms, incorporating four lions. The association also produced another early variant of the name, Leoline (based on Latin leo), commonly used in Norman French and French manuscripts. In medieval Latin manuscripts, the form Lewelinus was used.














Subscribe to Rooted by Blood, DNA and a lot of BS by Email

4 comments:

  1. How names change! I find this fascinating and enjoyed the read here. My last name is Bedesky.....my dad was born Baderskie. In the early 1950's he changed in to Bedesky because, he said, it was easier to say...who knows really. Now, the history says that my great grandfather's name was actually Bader. He worked as a mail carrier for the Kaiser in the 1800's in what was Prussia, a German Province. U fortunately, my great grandfather had a habit of dumping the mail I. Favour of goi g to the local pub and he got found out. To escape jail, he and his wife( maybe with kids in tow) change their name to Baderskie and left ending up in Edinborough, Scotland where my Grandfather was born before they came to the States..I think. They could have come to Canada first also...not sure on that. So not sure where to begin....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. You really need to start a genealogy blog on your family. I'd read it.

      Delete
  2. All our forebears matter but some lines are easier to trace than others. Young is not the easiest surname to track . I am hoping DNA will give us a match to a cousin to help us understand my husband's 3rd great grandfather who came from Liverpool to the Australian goldfields.

    Regards
    Anne

    L is for Never Surrender Lodge No. 187 I. O. G. T. Lamplough
    ----------

    Anne Young

    Anne's family history


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be something if your husband is a collateral cousin?

      Delete

About Me

My photo
Stay at home Mom to 1 dog and 2 cats. I am the "big sister" in the photo. My baby sister, passed away unexpectedly, Sept. 2015 at the young age of 56. I miss her terribly. Everyone in my childhood family has now passed. I have 3 sons. My oldest son died in 2003 at the age of 25. GENEALOGY is a growing passion of mine as well as History.