Saturday, April 1, 2017

Ancestry




I wasn't going to join in the #A-Z Challenge but I will try it for this blog, on Genealogy. I just thought, Genealogy isn't that big of a draw to the average blogger, unless you are LDS or really into Genealogy, plus who could possibly be interested in mine?

I started getting interested in Genealogy when my parents passed in 2007/2008. I was mildly intrigued before, but with their deaths, I felt I had to better get things figured out. Fortunately my mom had done it the old fashion way - with family bibles.

I NEEDED to go deeper. Thank God for Ancestry.com. I really got bit by the Genealogy bug and I haven't recovered since.

I consider myself at the intermediate level. I still have so much to learn and the learning curve gets steeper (or maybe I get dumber)

Thanks for dropping by. I really do appreciate it.

Where did you find most of your family records? What are your favorite genealogy websites?

#A-Z Challenge 





Subscribe to Rooted by Blood, DNA and a lot of BS by Email

6 comments:

  1. I wanted to do the challenge but wasn't prepared. I decided to drop the idea but joined in the last minute. I never traced my ancestry. I should one of these days.

    -- Usha, photoblogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you do it, it's like a drug. You get addicted.

      Delete
  2. I love the name of your blog. I am pretty interested in genealogy, and have done some research. All of my grandparents were immigrants, so most of my research so far has been through census records and Ellis Island. There is one major hitch, though. My maternal great-grandfather changed his name dramatically when he came to the U.S. -- it was Mucinic (pronounced Muchnik) in Russia, but Ohrenstein in the States. The story is that he left Russia because he was selling cigarettes without paying taxes. I thought that meant he was a smuggler. But I learned from a distant relative that he actually owned a cigarette factory. I guess he was afraid of the czar's police finding him even in the U.S. and that's why he changed his name. But I can't find either name in the Ellis Island records, and if he used yet a third name on the ship he sailed on, I have no idea of how to find him.

    Well, that's probably more than you wanted to know. But I'm curious to know what you've found out. Have you done the DNA family tests?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely a brick wall you have with your ggrandfather, but nothing is impossible. It sometimes, takes years before you figure it all out.

      Yes, I have done the DNA test. I'll write about that in D.

      Delete
  3. Glad you decided to join in. Look forward to reading your posts.

    Regards
    Anne
    A is for letter from Anzac
    ----------

    Anne Young

    Anne's family history


    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stay at home Mom to 1 dog and 2 cats. I am the "big sister" in the photo. My baby sister, passed away unexpectedly, Sept. 2015 at the young age of 56. I miss her terribly. Everyone in my childhood family has now passed. I have 3 sons. My oldest son died in 2003 at the age of 25. GENEALOGY is a growing passion of mine as well as History.